What are MOD and TOD? MOD and TOD are recording formats for use in digital tapeless camcorders. The formats are comparable to XDCAM EX, HDV and AVCHD.
MOD and TOD are informal names of tapeless video formats used by JVC (MOD and TOD), Panasonic (MOD only) and Canon (MOD only) in some models of digital camcorders. Format names correspond to extensions of video files. Neither JVC nor Panasonic, who pioneered the format, explained meaning of the file extensions, and the formats were never given an official name. MOD is used exclusively for standard definition video files, while TOD is used for high definition files.
MOD video can be viewed on a computer with a player that is capable of reproducing MPEG-2 video. This video can be easily authored for watching on a DVD player without recompression, because it is fully compliant with DVD-video standard.
TOD format is comparable with AVCHD, but cannot be directly played on consumer video equipment. Media files must be packaged into distribution formats like HD DVD or Blu-ray Disc, using authoring software.
In our experience here at MVT Productions this formats can be hard to work with for the end users, MVT has the software and experience to help you convert your home video recording to DVD. if you are in need of transferring your videos to DVD gives us a call to help. 714.424.9974
here is a list of some of the camera’s that use the MOD and TOD formats.
JVC MOD camcorders
▪ 2004: GZ-MC100 (SD), GZ-MC200 (SD)
▪ 2005: GZ-MG30 (HDD), GZ-MG70 (HDD)
▪ 2006: GZ-MG37 (HDD), GZ-MG77 (HDD), GZ-MG505 (HDD, SD/SDHC card)
▪ 2007: GZ-MG130 (HDD), GZ-MG155 (HDD), GZ-MG255 (HDD), GZ-MG555 (HDD, SD/SDHC card)
▪ 2008: GZ-MS100U (SD/SDHC card)
▪ 2008: GZ-MG7230 (30 GB HDD, MicroSD)
▪ 2009: GZ-MG630 (60 GB HDD, MicroSD), GZ-MG670 (80 GB HDD, MicroSD), GZ-MG680 (120 GB HDD, MicroSD)
JVC TOD camcorders
▪ 2007: GZ-HD7 (HDD, SD/SDHC), GZ-HD3 (HDD, SD/SDHC)
▪ March 2008: GZ-HD5 (HDD, MicroSD), GZ-HD6 (HDD, MicroSD)
▪ June 2008: GZ-HD30, GZ-HD40 (HDD, MicroSD, capable of both TOD and AVCHD recording)
Panasonic MOD camcorders
▪ 2003: SV-AV100 (SD card)
▪ 2005: SDR-S100 (SD card)
▪ 2006: SDR-S150 (SD/SDHC card)
▪ 2007: SDR-S10 (SD/SDHC card), SDR-H18 (HDD, SD card), SDR-H200 (HDD, SD/SDHC card)
▪ 2008: SDR-H20 (HDD, SD/SDHC card), SDR-H60 (HDD, SD/SDHC card)
▪ 2008: SDR-S7 (SD/SDHC card)
▪ 2008: SDR-SW20 (SD/SDHC card)
▪ 2009: SDR-SW21 (SD/SDHC card)
▪ 2009: SDR-S26 (SD/SDHC card)
Canon MOD Camcorders
▪ 2008: FS100 (SDHC), FS10 (SDHC), FS11 (SDHC)
▪ 2009: FS200 (SDHC), FS21 (SDHC), FS22 (SDHC)